Tuesday 8 March 2016

Ten Questions with ~ Paul Andrew Goldsmith, actor.

Paul is a professional actor and one third of Strange Fascination Theatre.
He is married, has three children and lives in Wymondham.


1. Hi Paul, what have you just done?
Recently finished a UK tour as Sherlock Holmes and filming for an upcoming web series. 

2. Why did you decide to become a professional actor?
I've held a passion for performance since a child. As I got older I realised it was a passion burning inside that I couldn't quell so I began taking steps to turn that passion into action. I realised that professional acting wasn't just WestEnd, TV and Film and that with determination you can create the opportunity to forge a career from it. 

3. There is a debate about pay vs. no pay, passion vs. payment, what is your opinion on being paid for your art?
What shouldn't one be paid for their talent, skill or craft? It costs a lot of money just to be a professional actor, whether training, marketing, auditions and so on so recompense should be forthcoming. It is a business, an industry and that requires payment. I've paid my dues both financially and physically to be a professional. If not I'm just doing it for fun. 

4. What is the most important attribute for a theatre professional in the 21st Century?
Ambition. One must be ambitious enough to push the boundaries, to challenge perceptions and take risks to achieve goals. 

5: Who is your favourite artist and why?
Sheridan Smith. To me she shines as an example of an actor who truly invests in a character and presents the full package. She also shows that talent comes above background and formal drama school training. 

6: Where do you see yourself in five years time?
Fully generating an income from the arts. It's far from easy but I believe that by creating opportunity it's achievable. 

7: What is your favourite place in Norfolk?
My home. After that it's anywhere on the coast. 

8: How do you relax of an evening after a hard day?
Play with my kids, read scripts, play with characters by filming on an iPhone, write or watch films. 

9: Dog or cat?
Dog. They keep you fit. 

10: And finally, what is next for you?
Various Corporate gigs here and there and then preparing to tour 'A Midsummer Nights Dream' open air around Norfolk throughout the summer with Strange Fascination Theatre Company.

Ten Questions with...will be back with actor Terry Molloy.

No comments:

Post a Comment