Monday 25 April 2016

Ten Questions with ~ Helen Fullerton

Helen has been a working professional actress for over 20 years.

She trained in musical theatre and has a very strong light classical voice but spends most of her working life in theatre, and comedy theatre at that.

She has recently moved down from Yorkshire to Cromer in Norfolk.









1. Hi Helen, what have you just done?

I am in the middle of a tour of “Kindly Leave the Stage” for Baroque Theatre. I play a St.John’s Ambulance Nurse. It’s a great fun farce and we have had some wonderful audiences and I am working in lots of venues I haven’t been to before (It’s amazing just how many venues there are in this country, getting theatre to all regions, and there is a real hunger for good, entertaining work). I’ll be doing this show until the end of June.

2. Why did you become an actor?

I was walking home from school, at 14, daydreaming about being discovered (as you do), when it came to me that this was actually a real option for work (even if not endless awards and money) you can make a living at it. From then on I just worked at it single mindedly, working with my school and local Amdram groups, then Drama school, Fringe, TIE and now I am one of the lucky ones who can say I DO make a living out of it.

3. What is the most important issue that you would like to see addressed in the arts?

Being a “Woman of a Certain age”, I am very aware of how disproportional the roles are for women, and then even worse for any woman over the age of 30. I believe this has begun to be addressed and certainly the industry does not appear to be as obsessed with sex appeal as it was when I left drama school, but there is still a long way to go. Women are no longer unrepresented in any area of business, life etc but the arts has not really caught up to represent all those real women.

4. There is a debate on pay/no pay: do you think artists should be paid for their work?

Yes, it’s my living, it’s your living, we need money to live, and our work is worth paying for. I rarely do unpaid/low paid work these days, but when I was looking to work in the film and TV market I took lots of unpaid gigs to give myself on the hoof training (I trained in Musical Theatre where recorded media was hardly touched upon), and to get together a show reel of material. Now I will occasionally do unpaid work for local friends for headshots etc.

5. Who is your favourite artist and why?

Being a character actress I have to say the wonderful characters actresses we have/have had in this country. Elizabeth Spriggs, Hattie Jaques, Joyce Grenfell, Margaret Rutherford, Victoria Wood, Celia Imrie, Julie Walters, Dawn French... so many... wonderful women with great comic timing with serious underlying truthfulness. 

6. What value does the theatre hold for children?

Not just Pantomime! Though Panto is still fun, so take 'em. Children get stories and that is what theatre is, dramatised stories, instantly accessible and live. When I was playing the Nurse in “Romeo and Juliet”, I had a seven year old come up to me when I went front of stage to clear the overly excited kids from the edge of the stage (there was a sword fight coming up and they were too close for safety). I had finished my acting and as a “Nanny” type was thought to be able to look after the kids. The last thing they had seen, was me crying my heart out as I though Juliet was dead, so this little girl comes up to me and gives me a hug saying “It’s alright, she’s not dead, she’s just taken a drink from the blue bottle. In a minute someone is going to come and go “Waaaa” and wake her up”. She got it. Strange old English and all, she got the story, and believed it. Don’t underestimate what children can understand. Theatre is a reflection of life, good, bad, funny and sad.

7. Where do you see yourself in two years time?

Well, now I am settled in my new home in Norfolk I’d really like to really absorb the local arts scene (all art reflects and informs the other arts). I love theatre and touring and really I am almost where I would be happy spending the rest of my days, taking good exciting theatre to people who really want to see theatre (not just those who want to tick it off their tourist list) in every corner of the country.

8. Do you have a favourite place in Norfolk?

I love woods, I live on the edge of a small wood and see deer and foxes and pheasants when I go for walks. I have a lot more of Norfolk to explore and I look forward to being shown and discovering more of it now I am here.

9. Dog or cat?

Cat. I love the company of an animal but I don’t want to be needed 24/7 as a dog needs attention. Sadly because I tour so much I can’t have a cat, even they need to be fed daily and watched over. So I’ll come around and pet other people’s pets.

10. And finally, what is next for you?

I will soon be starting work on the new Wuthering Heights film. I am very excited about the project as I am playing Nelly Dean who, in this adaptation, will be a dark and sinister constant presence, think a cross between “Hand that Rocked the Cradle” and “Misery”. They have already begun filming and the screen shots I have seen look wonderful. They are still raising money for the final touches and to increase the pay of the performers and crew so if anyone has a spare few pounds it would be gratefully received.




Twitter : @HelenFullyActor 




No comments:

Post a Comment