Saturday 23 April 2016

Ten Questions with...Cordelia Spence ~

Cordelia started Stuff of Dreams in 2012 after studying for her MA in Theatre Directing at UEA. 

Her previous work includes: for Stuff of Dreams: ‘Private Peaceful’, ‘Love Left Hanging’, ‘Rope’ , ‘The Bricks of Burston’ and ‘The Poisoners’ Pact’, ‘The Blacksmith Who Chased the Moon’ and ‘Forgotten’.

In addition she has directed ‘Darlings, Four Women, Four Years’ for UEA, an original play which commemorated the contribution of nurses in World War 1, and Sweeney Todd for WLOG.

She lives in Norfolk with her husband.



1. Hi Cordelia, what have you just done?

Hi Simon - I’ve just finished directing Stuff of Dreams current tour of ‘Forgotten’ a play that tells the story of Suffolk poet George Crabbe.

2: What was the reason behind creating 'Stuff of Dreams' Theatre Company?

After completing my Masters in Theatre Direction at UEA in 2012 I wanted to work but I didn’t want to move to London and sweep the floor of the Royal Court waiting to be discovered so I decided to make my own opportunities. I wanted to create a platform for emerging talent in the region and I wanted to tell stories about this wonderful area that I live in and love.

3: What are the most important attributes for someone working professionally in the arts?

Determination, creativity, a strong work ethic and the realisation that there is no ‘I’ in ‘team’.

4: Do you think that there are some instances where an artist should work for free?

In an ideal world no – but we don’t live in an ideal world. I also think that ‘free’ is a term that can be misinterpreted or even abused. Experience and networking are important and ‘in kind’ payment can be valuable to an emerging artist. Honesty and clear understanding between all parties is essential in any business and theatre is no different. But if you’re not being paid then it’s not professional. I object to people who just think they can be a ‘professional’ actor or director on a whim. As far as I am concerned members of our profession have made huge sacrifices, worked hard and trained to achieve ‘professional’ status and that should be recognised. 

5: What inspires you on a daily basis?

The unexpected. I’m very proud of how far Stuff of Dreams has come. I work with fantastic actors and our management team is very close. Ultimately I think it’s the utter buzz I get from being with actors in the rehearsal room. I’m also get very excited when I come across a new idea for a play for a company. 

6: What have you learnt from theatre thus far?

Theatre is, for me, the most exciting Art form in the universe. It explores the whole gamut of what it means to be human and provokes extraordinary responses. It has taught me to never stop learning as a director; every show demands something different, every actor teaches me something valuable and every audience member responds individually.

7: Who is your favourite artist?

Can I have two please? I adore Daniel Day Lewis and Viggo Mortensson. Both extraordinary actors. 

8: What has been the best piece of advice that you have received?

Choose the most difficult path, it will also be the most rewarding….’

9: How do you like to relax of an evening?

My other half, the sofa, the cats, chocolate and a good film.

10: And finally, what is happening next for you?

Tim Lane (my writing partner) and I are starting our next script, ‘Anglian Mist’. It is a cold war thriller set on Orford Ness and is a reimagining of some of the legends that abound about that haunting place. It’s going to be completely different to anything the company had done before and will be more immersive in style. It will premiere next summer (June 2017) on ‘The Ness’.


You can catch Stuff of Dreams latest play, 'Forgotten' on tour all through May into June, follow the link for details :

Stuff of Dreams Theatre Company

No comments:

Post a Comment